Sharpening Axes

official site: grahamparker.net
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:35 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Christmas Cracker
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:14 pm 

As far as I know a christmas cracker has a surprise in it? I t always reminded me that there should be a letter in it.

For the person who asked about what the songs meant due to losing these in a flood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB3jdJMY ... re=related

In Parker's own words, heres what you get on Steady Nerves:

"Break Then Down"- This is about an American Fundamentalist organization operating in the Venezuela called the New Tribes Mission, which is converting the Indians in the jungle to Christianity and destroying their culture.
"Its probably the most "finger pointing" song I've ever written".

"Mighty Rivers"- "Just a love song"

"Lunatic Fringe"- I wrote the chorus in my sleep. It's a collection of images you can take anyway you like. I wouldn't want to pin the meaning down-- in fact, I don't know what it's about myself.

"Wake Up (Next to you)"- A totally romantic love ballad, but it isn't sentimental or slushy. I don't deal in that.

"When you do that to me"- A sex song pure and simple. It's an upbeat tune based around acoustic guitar, with quite a strange arrangement .

"The Weekends too short"-"The only thing I can compare it to is a modern "Soul Shoes" (from "Howlin Wind). It's got lines like "Bust that bottle, let the liquor run/ before they raise the drinking age to 21, its a youth song. a party song.

"Take Everything"- "Very pop. A confusing song. I don't know what it's about beyond the simple idea of greed. Quite often, I'll look at a when I'm finished composing it and say, "I didn't know I was writing about that! Where did that come from.?"

"Black Lincoln COntinental" "A rockabilly thing. Each line of the lyric means more individually than all of them do as a whole. It relates to the first time I came to America and the record company sent a Lincoln COntinental to pick me up at the airport.

"Canned Laughter"- I'm poking fun at canned laughter on T.V. It was inspired by a comedy show in England starring Rowan Atkinson, who used to be on 'Not the Nine o'Clock news.

"Everyone's Hand is on the Switch"- There's a party atmosphere surrounding executions in America. I can almost see people opening bottles and eating popcorn, and watching T.V."

"Locked Into Green"- Snooker is an incredibly intense thing in England. The championships are on TV and everyone watches. This song deals with a guy named, Hurricane Higgins, a genius Irish snooker player with great style.

The CD edition of "Steady Nerves also contained "Too much ttime to think" which Parker calls "a wild song about confusion in New York City."

*\/*
SOI