Sharpening Axes

official site: grahamparker.net
It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:03 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:17 pm 

... before we go, can we have one last non-Facebook-sized discussion? I have been listening a lot to Acid Bubblegum, and I feel that it's graham's most absurdist album. This doesn't mean the songs are meaningless, but a number of them are (at least on the surface) nonsensical -- which is different. They have the madcap rhyming of songs like "Maneuvers" and "OK Hieronymous."

The title Acid Bubblegum is a good example, or the title-ish track, "Bubblegum Cancer," though that song is clearly meant to reflect the absurdity of advertising. Or is it? What are verses 2 (the Luncheon Meat Kid) and 3 (Barney Google) about? I don't think they have obvious satirical targets like Joe Camel.

"Get Over It and Move On" is the story of an inexplicable loser, somewhat like Warren Zevon's "I Was in the House When the House Burned Down," but the images are less archetypal and more ... absurdist.

"The Girl at the End of the Pier" -- a glimpse of beauty, or a fairy? But why does it happen in a Coney Island setting (or perhaps Brighton), and how does the unfortunate monkey fit in?

"Milk Train" -- ok ... something Freudian going on here.

"Character Assassination" we've talked about before as bilious, and it certainly is, but toward what?

I'm thinking now that the '90s were graham's most literary decade ... the songs are the most ambitious from a writing standpoint, and wasn't he doing things like songwriters circles and Kerouac readings? Since 2001, his forms have been generally more basic.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 11:44 pm 

I have to listen to this cd again. I haven't heard it in awhile. For some unknown reason it's my least listened to GP album. I like it I just never get the urge to hear it like I do with other GP albums. Who knows why?