Sharpening Axes

official site: grahamparker.net
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:00 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: This Is 40
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:31 am 

Herewith we begin to discuss the newest Judd Apatow film which features GP and the Rumour. The film is completed and the trailer is up on imdb.com. No sign of GP on the trailer.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1758830/

Post subject: Re: This Is 40
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:23 pm 

good idea, MPF! ... hmm, I don't think I've seen any of Apatow's movies, though I've seen some of the actors in other things. I'm actually around the target demographic for his work, but I'm not sure we're on the same page, generally, and so I don't really have anything to say about the movie itself.

I guess it's not surprising that GP is absent from the general audience trailer -- maybe they'll make a separate one to circulate on music blogs, etc.? Otherwise, why involve him at all...

anyway, I hope the project is leading to good things for graham. At this point it seems ironic that this potentially major turn in his career has meant keeping a lower profile than ever for a year (or more?), but maybe new opportunities will follow. Just hope they're suited to graham's p.o.v. on the world.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:55 pm 

Earlier this year in an excellent interview (http://www.songfacts.com/blog/interviews/graham_parker/), GP said that he had recorded four songs from ideas provided by Judd Apatow for the movie. In the IMDB listing, GP is not listed as a contributor for original music or for the music department. Does this mean that none of these songs got through the production process or could there still be a new GP original in the movie?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:50 pm 

They have to have some GP & the Rumour on the soundtrack or why have them in the movie to begin with? It would be great to hear some originals on it. I mentioned "Life Gets Better" as a possibility for inclusion because from what I've seen of the movie it would seem to be a perfect fit. Also remember that Apatow closed out "Undeclared" with "Love Gets You Twisted". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbNIe4_vGes

Last edited by redinKC on Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:10 pm 

Snip snip snip. Cutting room floor. Been there done that got the tee shirt.

And I thought "Long Emotional ride" was a shoe in for Oscar for best new song.

People in Hollywood working on the movie must be wondering "Judd, who is this Graham Parsons and why is he in this movie?" Judd may be just powerful enough to keep him in. I wouldn't go by IMDb and nobody cares enough about GP and the Rumour except Judd to worry about his credit at this point.

The real news for us is GP and the Rumour. New album. I am not a Rumour die hard but if GP thought they would work out for this album he must have something big in mind. I have heard probably most of the songs in concert and they do not sound like Rumour material. It makes the choice of using the Rumour all the more interesting. I defer to GP since almost all of his albums are perfect. I would be shocked if this one wasn't up there with his best.

I didn't love the rough draft of the documentary and I doubt that is salvageable for me. My opinion.
--
I'll buy you a drink in the bar pal...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:32 pm 

jerilo, I haven't seen the rough draft of the documentary. How did it fail in your estimation? Too much of "he's the greatest talent nobody has heard of"? If so, I can see how that story is getting a bit long in the tooth.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:21 am 

I saw it quite a while ago and don't remember much. That is a bad sign already. As I recall, it started with "Over the Border" and a quote from Sharpening Axes so I thought it was going to be filled with a lot of "newer" stuff. But it was about the Rumour stuff. Don't get me wrong MG is a very good filmmaker...the editing and stuff in it are great. I'm sure the newer version will be even greater. I was very disappointed in the point of view. Let's just say it is not my point of view which is more that the popular stuff is not as great(although it is, too) and the great stuff is not as popular. I find the name of the movie such a turnoff...Play your first song...we only want to hear your first song...that's the one we want to hear...OK...that's enough. I think that was GP's review through one of his alter egos, although the "real " GP claims to like it. I just don't see how it advances the ball.
--
A book about you where you don't get a mention

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:11 pm 

jerilo, I'm gonna have to agree with you on the rough cut, played it once and said oh well, the wait maybe worth the price!
*\*
SOI

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:22 pm 

What IS the name of the movie? I didn't pledge to the Kickstarter campaign and I don't remember. I did see the first 15 minutes or so of the first draft at my friend Maureen's house in March (after the Graham/Garland Jeffreys show). It wasn't enough to make any sort of impression.

By the way, I just bought a ticket for Graham solo at the wonderful Club Passim in Cambridge, Mass. on Sept. 28. There's no more room at my table (#10) but there are plenty of nearby seats, if anyone wants to join me. Here's a link: http://tickets.passim.org/ordertickets. ... efault.asp

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:04 pm 

Don't ask me questions...no really Joanne, Don't ask me questions. What I am trying to say is if you want to know the name of the movie...Don't ask me questions.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:46 pm 

I am glad there is still some activity on the board... Can't get FB at the J-O-B..
I haven't picked up my ticket for the September Passim's show... $35.00... is a little steeper than usual.. but when GP is this close... Could be that last show before he becomes a famous movie star...
"... you better keep your eyes open..."

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:27 pm 

Thanks Jer, I get it. I won't ask you questions. And Midnight, aw shucks, come to the Passim show. Bring the redheads; it's a kid friendly place. Good vegan food and I just love their raspberry lime rickeys.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:40 am 

New trailer...wait for it...wait for it....Missed it. Watched it again...wait for it....wait for it....missed it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:36 pm 

I'm sure you heard this phase blink and you might just miss it, I thought this was a movie about Graham and his great band, well i=from the trailer it looks like insecurity galore. Blink I think i'm gonna miss this one.

*\*
SOI

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:47 pm 

Another incentive to attend GP's show at Passim is that Mike Gent will be opening. Hopefully they'll do a few tunes together as well, as they usually do when MG opens for GP.