Sharpening Axes

official site: grahamparker.net
It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 12:15 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: The Documentary.....
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:44 pm 

We should also start a thread about the upcoming documentary which apparently DVD's of the final version are being sent out to the Kickstarter pledgers at the end of this month. Hmmm.
It is has been 2 years and 8 days since I made my original pledge.
I am hopeful that I get the GP autographed DVD version that I pledged for, as the autographed limited edition silkscreen poster that I received was missing the GP autograph and any indications that the poster was a limited edition. I did point this out to Mr Gramaglia last year, and I got a very nice reply saying this oversight would be rectified, but no indication of when, which considering the project's history is not a surprise.

Notwithstanding all the delays I am looking forward to watching the film immensely.

Has anyone seen the final version yet?

Post subject: Re: The Documentary.....
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:21 pm 

has anyone else watched the new version of the movie? Lots of interviews with the Rumour (shots of Andrew Bodnar in his library in Yorkshire, Steve Goulding sipping wine in a Village cafe), also footage from the album sessions, which is nice because we hear bits of the songs as they were being laid down, before the (minimal) overdubs and final mix were done. Also a piece of what sounded like an unreleased track. Plus scenes from the Apatow film shoot and a movie-related gig... I'm not sure whether incorporating all this late-breaking material sustains the overall form of the documentary and the narrative created by the Brothers G, but the new stuff is fun to see.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:54 am 
Site Admin

I watched the final version and I have to say I'm disappointed. Where are the Figgs? They were completely cut out. Also, none of the Ian Hunter scenes from the New Yorker festival made the final cut, and some of the best interview segments are missing. Instead, there is an over abundance (IMO) of Rumour footage, which actually becomes tiring and completely takes the wind out the film. The entire tone of the film has changed to what amounts to a promotional film for the new album and the Judd Apatow film. It is a lesser film than the one I saw months ago and was blown away by, and I feel a little sick about it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:31 pm 

It has been my sense that the documentary was falling victim to This is 40. MG got the Rumour together at Lakeside Lounge and that was sort've the first ending. Then the JA movie just ate that up and I think MG was caught up in that whole scene. I would not be surprised if they ended up working together since MG now has two movies about music, the Ramones and GP movies. I would think that would impress JA who must get resumes all the time...here is a proven entity.
I always thought the documentary should not be about how GP was an overlooked rock star. It should have been about how GP isthe great artist of our time. You don't have to be popular for that. Anyway, I have my password but I haven't seen the final cut yet. Please tell me that the 5 losers line survived or I will really be sick.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:52 pm 
Site Admin

What is the "5 losers" line?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:50 am 

In the version I saw, GP was performing solo at the Turning Point and he said he had to change the show every night because there were like 5 losers who saw every show and they would not want to see the same show each time. Very time consuming, according to GP.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:56 am 

"5 losers" is still in there.

I agree with both of you -- the documentary now serves as a support act for the Hollywood finale, and it's even more under the sway of the Rumour legend. I wasn't too moved by the original version so I'm not upset with the new one; there's more new footage than I expected, which I'm happy to see, even if I still don't agree with the thesis. The solo years are seen as an utter footnote. A viewer who only has a vague knowledge of GP&TR will see the clip of "Blue Horizons" and grow bewildered -- who is this brilliant singer making great music without the famed Rumour?

there's a movie to be made, I think, on the early years of the solo career, when graham seems to still have been somewhat London-based, if there's much surviving footage. Or is that the story of The Other Life of Brian? Or "Joe Meek's Blues"?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:38 am 

The doc has been transformed from the story of GP to the story of GP and the Rumour. Perfectly reasonable. It's now a totally different film and, in a way, redistributes history while still telling the truth.

It's a little sad though that the doc has been tailored to be an extra for the inevitable deluxe DVD release of the fine Apatow film.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:37 am 

Well I just saw the movie and I have to take back anything negative I've ever said about it. I cannot convey how much I love the new version. I think it actually tones down the "GP did not make it big" story that I really don't get. I thought the earlier version was really about Squeezing Out Sparks as the epitome of a career. The new version seems to use the Rumour reunion as a way of getting to what making great music is about. I agree that there is another movie to be made...the one about the solo career and the great art of GP as a songwriter/composer(that is an in joke...see the movie...everybody gets a label). But that is not this movie. This movie has a lot of heart. The catching up scenes with each member of the Rumour worked brilliantly. I thought the JA stuff, which was really no more than 10 minutes, made sense in that what JA was doing in This is 40 is a lot like what GP has done in his career and is essentially what MG is doing in this movie. They all have a lot of heart. And although it would be difficult to convey how great GP is, that is what the records are for. At least, MG explores GP's motivations and influences and if you think GP is great at what he does, the movie helps you see where all that stuff comes from.
Just one knock...what happened to the Chambermaid????(Cutting room floor, I guess).
-_-_-_
It's a good life if you're winning...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:31 pm 
Site Admin

jerilo wrote:
Just one knock...what happened to the Chambermaid????(Cutting room floor, I guess).

Just one of the many great things missing from the new cut.

What I liked about the original was the theme of "why didn't this guy make it big?", and the film went on to explore the reasons and came to the conclusion that it didn't happen because he has too much integrity and wasn't cut out for a life of stardom if it meant compromise. Let's be honest - GP will never be the huge star that Bruce Springsteen is, in spite of him being a million times better, because he doesn't have the same drive or motivations. The GP of that original film was a man who came to grips with that and found his peace. As he said in the film, most musicians pay their dues in the beginning but he had success early on and is paying them now. The whole sense of that theme is completely lost if the film is just about how great GP & the Rumour are. There is no compelling story arc. Without that it just becomes something for the hard core fans to appreciate and not the general audience.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:17 pm 

I did not like the cutesy sellout ending of the first version where Primary Wave comes in as the hero. I know I am the only one here who really does not trust them. Not that I fault GP but I still remember when doing commercials was considered a sell out. Now it seems to be the only way to make any money in the music business. I do miss Pete fornatele. Although I am not the biggest GP and the Rumour fan I think the focus on the reunion makes sense in this movie and is a much better ending. I also miss the "record company guy"...the record was made, it was in the stores, it was promoted, it just didn't sell, now what am I going to do with all these Pink Parkers I horded. I thought he was just oozing with slime.
-_-_-_
It's a killer if you're not...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:36 pm 

yeah, I guess either way of ending the movie with up-to-the-minute material is going to lend too much weight to whatever is happening right now and blurring the past 30 years into an interlude.

something I was curious about that's still in there is the line about graham "basically taking 1978 off" and retreating to his parents'. Is this true? I guess that's the reason for The Parkerilla? Exactly what his ambitions were for Stick to Me that were dashed by Nick Lowe and the Faulty Tapes could maybe be more clearly expressed. Did he envision "The Heat in Harlem" as a great leap forward? Something that would have distinguished him from EC, JJ, and the punks?

also still in there, near the conclusion in fact, is the old NYC DJ's line about graham "maybe having made some self-destructive decisions." I can't tell whether he is referring to anything specific or even has a clue of what he's talking about (vs. Carol Miller, who seems more accurate in her recall). But maybe he does?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:45 pm 

I believe the dj is Meg Griffin(no relation to Mila Kunis who voices another Meg Griffin!). If you go to the R&R HOF and play the Meg Griffin dj entry, it starts with the end of Mercury Poisoning...then, as I recall, it goes to EC. I believe that is GP's only entry in the HOF and it lasts about 5 seconds. In my opinion Carol Miller was a bit of a lightweight while Meg always was the bomb. I think the reference to mistakes in GP's career is that constant harping on how he did not make it big. That is all those music business people seem to care about. But not the musicians. All of them, especially the rarely heard Brinsley, express the satisfaction of a life well lived more than any specific regret. I think Brinsley's line at the end along those lines really summed up what I liked about the movie as amended.
_+_+_
I know what I'm doing...I just can't stop doing it...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:52 pm 

It seems to me that a definitive biography of a working artist is impossible to make, by definition, until the artist dies (or at least retires for good and disappears from the public eye), and that the documentarians really ought to stop worrying about it being "finished" and release the thing. I haven't seen the movie but from reading this thread, am I correct in surmising that the story line is "he had this great band, they parted ways, nothing happened for 30 years, he got the great band back together"? If that's the case, I don't think I could stand to even watch the movie. There has been too much of that utter Rumour-centric nonsense making the rounds in the recent GP internet discussions as it is.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:22 am 
Site Admin

Joanne,

Yes that is the basic sense of the new cut, which is why i'm so disappointed. The original version was quite remarkable, and it was the version that GP saw and was moved to write "Long Emotional Ride" after seeing. The new one just seems like an ordinary promotional film for the reunion.