Sharpening Axes

official site: grahamparker.net
It is currently Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:58 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: The Documentary.....
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:26 pm 

I watched the doc again and I still think it is the best movie that could have been made. Really, I don't know why anyone would care about this outside of a small circle of friends, so I wonder why the doc exists at all. The movie definitely needed some theme. I did not like the Primary wave sell-out theme....or the Isn't it amazing how good SOS is and that it got made theme....or the How could GP not make it big theme...so I am most comfortable with the Rumour was and is a great band theme. Interesting, since I am not a big GP and the Rumour fan, liking his post Rumour (first time) new stuff so much more.
But here's what I loved. Whether intentional or not, the movie as finished(?) takes all the themes and puts them in the mouths or the people who are saying them...but really GP rejects them all. He would rather watch the otters and the birds that defy identification. There is enough in the movie about GP's inspirations and none of them had to do with money or making it big or focusing on SOS. I liked how he talked about being nervous about his craft. I came away from the movie exactly how I went into it. Feeling that GP is just too darn good for this world so it is amazing that he produced what he did. Yes, I would have liked to see more from the great later albums, but it is understood that there were great later albums. And people like Springsteen and Frank Black(?) and Joe Jackson are there to tell us how great a songwriter he is.
As for the focus on the Rumour, I find that a plot technique that is quite endearing. Other than BA, none of them seem wistful that they did not make it bigger. My sense is they as a group they understand that they are side characters in something bigger than themselves...this thing called Graham Parker.
There really is little about Judd Apatow so I do not agree with that criticism.
My biggest knock of the doc is that by having Springsteen and Joe Jackson and Dylan references, it seems to place a ceiling on GP as if to say that he is almost as great as they are. Since I think GP is actually the best of the bunch, I think the movie could have explored that as a possibility. Perhaps Springsteen does get there but the songs themselves are mostly Gp and the Rumour and only a few instances of his best work. The sequel?
--=--=--=---
Some of them just go along for the ride...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:50 am 

I finally got to watch the documentary last night. I was in Indonesia when the Vimeo link was posted and the internet connection could not cope so the wait for me continued a little bit longer.

I enjoyed the film, but I wish I had taken the option of receiving the first version as based on the comments posted so far I think I would have found that version more interesting.

I had the pleasure of meeting both Michael and John Gramaglia at the Tarrytown concert. Interestingly John told me that the final version was the 4th version he edited. The Costello interview didn't come off as EC wanted to see some footage beforehand and then it all got too hard. A pity as because it would have been interesting to hear EC's take on the GP vs EC comparisons.

The Rumour snapshots were very interesting. Andrew and Brinsley came across as the most gentle members of the band while Steve described himself as a drummer for hire; only these three recorded with GP in the 31 years between the GP&TR records. The paradox being that Martin and Bob who were presented as being big fans of GP and his music but they never recorded with him during his post Rumour career. I have often wondered why.

Oh and I now have a signed limited edition poster (including The Rumour) of the Poster for the first version ie with appearances from Jesse Malin and The Figgs!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:20 am 

Accountant named Bill wrote:
The Rumour snapshots were very interesting. Andrew and Brinsley came across as the most gentle members of the band while Steve described himself as a drummer for hire; only these three recorded with GP in the 31 years between the GP&TR records. The paradox being that Martin and Bob who were presented as being big fans of GP and his music but they never recorded with him during his post Rumour career. I have often wondered why.

hmm, well, remember that Bob left before the rest ... I feel like there had to be some kind of rift there, also judging by Bob's stage performances, especially on the Sparks tour, where he looks to be trying to upstage Graham at times. To me, he's totally overwrought there, to the point that I find it hard to watch (I notice that in the movie the clip of "Nobody Hurts You" is cut just as he's about to come out from behind the keyboard and do that odd confrontation with Graham ... so maybe the Gramaglibros agree with me). But now he seems like a totally different person, very joyous when he plays.