Sharpening Axes

official site: grahamparker.net
It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 4:17 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Shrikes!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:13 am 

There is a new youtube floating around with a song from the movie called "what do you like". It is just so GP. Suddenly I am reminded about how great The Other Life of Brian is and GP's many adventures with wildlife.
_-_-_-
Look it up in the dictionary...

Post subject: Re: Shrikes!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:38 am 

Agreed. Great song! Many exciting extras are arising from the latest GP cache of songs. Great times for GP fans!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:25 am 

Link???

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:56 am 

I'm not a big setlist-watcher (a la a large swath of Dylan fans), but I've been wondering which, and how many, "GP" numbers that gp will have "GP and the Rumour" play this fall -- any guesses? ... Will it be all songs from the first 4 and new album? Or will Andrew Bodnar be running down "Brand New Book" to the rest of the group?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:13 am 

Impossible to figure out what GP will do but I would put my money on a start to finish SOS. Not so much because he has to, but that album has been a burden to GP at solo shows when people clamour for it. After this tour, he really can say...been there, done that(got the tee shirt). Why not embrace it.
If the guitars are well tuned, we should hear Empty Lives because there is no other band who can play anything close to that.
We should hear most of the new album. I remember seeing him with a band just before Mona Lisa's Sister came out and foolishly I was one of the crowd who wished he played more of the old stuff. He likes getting the new stuff out there.
Which, of course, leaves your question...What non Rumour stuff will they play. My guess is that it will be his best rockers like Weeping Statues or Get Over It and Move On, and perhaps a ballad like The Other Side of the Reservoir.
Great time to be a GP fan(OK...here's the kicker) even though I am not certain that the new stuff is his best. Perhaps I will be proved wrong.
-_-_-_
I'm not feeling too good myself...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:52 am 

Quote:
If the guitars are well tuned, we should hear Empty Lives because there is no other band who can play anything close to that.

Ahhh, I love Empty Lives, frequently my favourite GP song. The song that mythically represents everything GP was supposed to be, the angry new wave rocker, when the reality is/was so much more. But nonetheless I love it anyway, I love the guitars, just mesmerising to me.
Especially I love the paradox that I am flying to the other side of the world to see (the first) 9 shows in 14 days and the song I most want to hear is the one where GP sings
Quote:
so don't get me to fill up your empty lives

But I do hope the set list changes a bit each night.
BTW I wouldn't mind meeting some fellow fellow fans before the shows or whatever. If interested send me message. I am also keen to get hints on the best route to drive from Poughkeepsie to Alexandria.

Certainly a great time coming up for this GP fan and I can't wait.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:31 pm 

At a recent solo show GP said something about sending a copy of 'Mona Lisa's Sister' to the Rumour, so there might be one song from that. Maybe it'll just be "Get Started," since that is one of the songs the masses want to hear. Otherwise, my guess is they'll play 8 or 9 songs from the new album and fill the rest of a 20-song show with selections from the early career of GP & the Rumour. I don't expect them to play "Weeping Statues" (sorry Jerry). I expect that the set list will stay mostly the same from one night to the next.

I think it would be a hoot if they played "Canned Laughter" but I don't actually expect it to happen.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:36 pm 

I suppose Under the Mask of Happiness is the other obvious one from TMLS though there quite a few possiblities. Martin Belmont has said they'll be playing some GP songs from albums The Rumour didn't feature on. I take it White Honey, Watch the Moon..., Protection (the last 2 are on the movie soundtrack), Heat Treatment, Hotel Chambermaid, Fool's Gold, Hey Lord...,Local Girls, Howlin Wind are all certainties and Gypsy Blood, New York Shuffle, Soul Shoes, Nobody Hurts You, Passion, You Can't Be Too Strong all likely. I'd like to see on full-on versions of Don't Get Excited and Empty Lives and wouldn't be surprised to see 1 or 2 from Deepcut also make it (Jacksonville, Dark Days, Socks n' Sandals (in homage to the album cover!), or If It Ever Stops Raining (to follow Stop Crying About the Rain). Off the new album, I'm intrigued by what I've heard of Live in Shadows while Snake Oil, Coathangers, Three Chords Good, Old Soul and Long Emotional Ride sound like they'd all be good live. Is that 20 yet?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:09 pm 

nicepace wrote:
Maybe it'll just be "Get Started," since that is one of the songs the masses want to hear.

I think graham may be the only one who believes this at this point! ... otherwise, I agree w/ your sense of things.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:10 pm 

stevef wrote:
I suppose Under the Mask of Happiness is the other obvious one from TMLS

hmm, why is that?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:30 pm 

Back in time? Haunted Episodes? The two songs that always make me wistful. I'm now expecting the former and would love to hear ANYTHING from the album of the almost same name as the latter.
-=-=-=

And you try to get high again but it's like time-lapse photography(or any other line from that song)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:59 pm 

stevef wrote:
wouldn't be surprised to see 1 or 2 from Deepcut also make it (Jacksonville, Dark Days, Socks n' Sandals (in homage to the album cover!), or If It Ever Stops Raining (to follow Stop Crying About the Rain).

Since "If It Ever Stops Rainin'" is a song I recently named when somebody asked me to name my favorite GP song, this is a very tempting idea, but I really suspect the target audience for these shows are the folks who never bought another GP album after he parted ways with the Rumour. They are the ones who HAVEN'T been going to his solo shows, or his shows with the Figgs, or his shows with other bands, and only care about him when he has the Rumour along. So, would GP sabotage those people's good time by playing songs from a decade-old album they've never heard of?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:06 am 

Well, Rumour drummer Steve Goulding played on If It Ever Stops Raining (as well as the rest of Deepcut) so it may not be such a stretch. I suspect they'll throw in several "non-Rumour" songs per night. Martin Belmont has all but confirmed this on Facebook. The Rumour are a pretty versatile band, to make an understatement, so I suspect they'll be able to tackle anything GP throws their way. Can't wait to see the setlists and hear the recordings.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:04 am 

"So, would GP sabotage those people's good time by playing songs from a decade-old album they've never heard of?"

Well Joanne...it is hard to read that question without trying to convince myself that the answer is WELL YES.

He should either play SOS start to finish, or nothing from SOS. He should only play covers! He should only play his most obscure songs.

Aren't we convinced that he will do a very non GP thing and play the exact set we expect him to play. The whole new album. A smattering of the old stuff including several from SOS and one or two "surprises" from his later stuff. Encore of Local girls so we can all go "HEY". Boring if you ask me. Maybe I should sell my tickets now.
-=-=-
He'd be giving it a maximum today....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:58 am 

Somewhere, In a parallel universe, GP is getting nominated for an Oscar tomorrow. Too bad the only eligible song is What Do You Like. Honestly I missed it in the movie and had to be told that it was playing in the Swimming Pool scene. Yea...like that will get the attention of the Academy.
-__-_--__
Look it up in the dictionary