Sharpening Axes

official site: grahamparker.net
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:02 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Shrikes!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:08 pm 

When I saw there was a new post, I clicked onto this old thread and it was interesting to look at the pre-tour speculation about what songs would be played. During the tour I read some (not all) of the setlists that were posted, so my knowledge is not complete. Am I correct that "Get Started" and "Jacksonville" were the only 'non-Rumour' songs performed during the tour?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:13 pm 

Quote:
Am I correct that "Get Started" and "Jacksonville" were the only 'non-Rumour' songs performed during the tour?

I recall that A Brand New Book was played at the Rams Head, Annapolis.

BTW, all three 'non-Rumour' songs performed were from albums that ex-Rumour members had played on.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:16 am 

I found "Jacksonville" a really odd choice for inclusion, Goulding's having played on the studio track notwithstanding...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:03 pm 

Yes...this is where it ends...Jacksonville. Perhaps it represents performing with the Rumour?
-=-=-=
I'll never have that weird thrill.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:17 pm 

One song, just one song, was chosen to represent the many, many great songs GP has recorded in the decades without the Rumour. Why Jacksonville?

The answer might be because it's a disaster song. (The song actually describes two disastrous experiences both occurring in Jacksonville, one a real tragedy of two people being killed in a flood, and the other, the humorous story of GP's disaster gig in that city.)

But maybe that's reading too much into it, and the answer just might be: why NOT Jacksonville?

CC, what's your thought on this? Why do you say it was an odd choice?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:05 pm 

A couple of times on the tour when introducing Jacksonville, GP mentioned that he gets to play the fuzzy guitar part (and he gets to choose which part he plays). On another occasion he made reference to the sad story at the start, but described the song as a great rock song.

So my impression was simply that Jacksonville is a favourite that he enjoys playing.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:57 pm 

I guess I found it odd first because its dark wit mostly clashes with the sunnier mood of the new songs, and the exuberance of most of the (non-SOS) old songs. But there you might say it added variety to the set (although why this song rather than the many other sardonic solo tunes ... "England's Latest Clown," for instance, is essentially the same song, musically, just slowed down).

but also because it's so personal, to the point of being shocking. (I say this having played the Milk Bar myself and found it a strange place -- although I didn't have as bad a time as graham -- so there's always been something uncanny to me about this song.) Have any other major artists written and recorded about professional embarrassments? There are plenty about frustration with management, or with the industry more generally (pioneered by the Stones in "Under Assistant West Coast Promo Man," Dylan (maybe) with "Positively Fourth Street" and "Dear Landlord," then developed by the Kinks on Lola, and don't later Pink Floyd have whole albums on this topic?). I feel like, on Deepcut, the song closes the chapter on graham's mid- to late-'90s despair over his career, which had been boiling over on Acid Bubblegum. In that way, including the song feels like an unsolicited concession to the Rumour, as if these are the depths graham sank to without them. Which is a very distorted view to present of oneself. Weird, isn't it?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:10 pm 

Gee...I just hope it doesn't mean GP will never play solo shows again. That would be a travesty. He always complains, but secretly loves it. Yet it must be very stressful for our senior friend.
Perhaps GP should instead do duet or Twang Three type shows. Every one of them I've been to has been great and they are probably less stressful. and after a bad night he can always blame the other guy. Yes it will not be quite the same where GP is totally in control, but close enough for entertainment work.
-=-=-
Hey...good luck kid.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:08 pm 

GP just needs to find some other musicians who will play for 100 bucks a gig. ha ha

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:05 pm 

cc wrote:
I feel like, on Deepcut, the song closes the chapter on graham's mid- to late-'90s despair over his career, which had been boiling over on Acid Bubblegum. In that way, including the song feels like an unsolicited concession to the Rumour, as if these are the depths graham sank to without them. Which is a very distorted view to present of oneself. Weird, isn't it?

CC, this certainly reflects a thoughtful response to GP's choice of this song. I am, of course, happy for GP on a personal level if the Rumour reunion makes him some significant profit and/or increases his public profile. But I do not believe that the turning back of the clock some 30 years and the omission from the set lists of virtually everything from those 30 years can be seen as anything other than diminishing the music, from an artistic viewpoint.

The masses (those folks who are suddenly reappearing in Parkerville because he has the Rumour back again) want the "old stuff" -- and with this reunion GP is appealing to the masses. One of GP's strongest characteristics has been his authenticity; and as a fan I can only guess how GP himself is reconciling the need to pretend the 30 years never happened. I am hoping that he is just enjoying this experience, all this attention he's getting all of a sudden, and not thinking about the long term ramifications.

I question CC's use of the term "despair." In what way was Graham "despairing" about his career during those years? I think a more accurate description would be "coming to terms." He was realizing he would never be rich and famous, but that music was making him a living and getting him enough serious fans and critical acclaim to give him a sense of achievement. That the muse was not abandoning him as he aged, that in fact his songwriting was getting stronger and branching out in new directions, is another factor that makes "despair" too strong a word. How could his newly honed ability (on 'Deepcut') to write laugh-out-loud funny songs not give him a sense of satisfaction, for example?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:00 am 

I think you're right, Joanne, that "despair" is too strong a word for this song. If anything, he's moved on by the time he's gotten to Jacksonville, or by the time he was able to write about it -- "I don't need anyone to remind me / I don't get the big picture." For despair, I was thinking more of Acid Bubblegum ("Impenetrable," "Character Assassination," and other cynical tunes on that album), The Last Rock and Roll Tour, and the relative silence that passed between then and Deepcut -- as he began to build an internet presence, not coincidentally ... though I'm not sure if it was here yet on the Ye Yahoo Grouppe.

it will be interesting to see what happens After the Buzz, if things are indeed buzzing in Parkerville.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:47 pm 

At the Grammys Taylor Swift opened with a ditty called something like "We will never ever get back together" For some reason it made me thing of I'll Never Play Jacksonville again". I think the word NEVER is a very powerful word...the funny thing is that it rarely means NEVER...as in...the Rumour will never get back together(probably NEVER said)...or the Eagles Hell Freezes Over tour(am I allowed to mention the Eagles AND Taylor Swift in one GP post?)Sometimes it is a way of moving on...or hoping that we move on. The truth is we know that if the price is right, GP and the Rumour would play Jacksonville...but that goes more to the hopeful use of the word NEVER than to some sense of going back on one's word. After a bad experience, who has not said...I'll never do that again...only to do it again.
-=-=
I know what I'm doing...I just can't stop doing it...