Sharpening Axes

official site: grahamparker.net
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:42 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Arlington's Busy
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:32 pm 

I don't know. I am bowled over by every song on this album except this one. Some GP fans have said its their favorite. I just can't warm up to it. 2000 Funerals is perhaps my favorite topical song. I love its imagery and depth. I love the light touch of Short Memories, where something deep seems to be going on beneath the surface. I just never seem to get there with AB. Perhaps someone can get me there.
=-=-=-
IT’S NOT VERY PLEASANT SO LET’S MOVE ALONG

Post subject: Re: Arlington's Busy
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:15 pm 

sorry, I agree -- imo, it's in the same category as "Short Memories" and "2000 Funerals," but not in the same league. Something obvious about name-checking, and not only Rumsfeld but McChrystal. It seems less personal that way and more textbooky, or as I suggested a long time ago, NPR-y. Or it may have more to do with the music: the melody and arrangement, which seem hasty. It's enough to make me almost agree with that right-wing blog, that this isn't the way to write "political" songs ... some kind of equivalent for the "short memories" concept would have worked, bc he wants to point out that we're not paying enough attention, but it comes off more as a complaint than a lament.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:30 pm 

I'm having a bit of "come to jebus" on this song. Here GP gathers together all these Brits and puts out an American album. I think GP always gives his work a time or place. This is an American song. The politics are American, the places are American, the word "us" at the end places the song's protagonist, if not GP himself, as American. I like that since I think GP is a great American artist despite what everybody in Facebook thinks. I really think they don't get it...but maybe it is me. Maybe it is all a persona...I don't think so. You get married, raise your family, and hang out here...that's what you are.

--__--
Bring me a slice and a coke....

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:27 pm 

Now, Jer, don't be too hard on the Facebook crowd. They are almost all folks who got interested again in GP when the Rumour reunion happened, and they missed all those fabulous years of GP writing about American themes. Of course Graham writes from a place of American-ness -- he calls himself Brit-American in "Dislocated Life" -- and his songwriting, in general, is so descriptive of what he sees around him that it couldn't be anything BUT American.

This makes me want to go back and listen to "Dislocated Life" again and see if it has other references to "becoming" an American after growing up English.

Don't forget to give "The First Day of Spring" a spin tomorrow, by the way.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:23 pm 

I always thought Partner For Life was both about getting married and about becoming American.
-_-_-_
From the pounding of the surf to the gentleness of your smile...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:32 pm 

Quote:
I always thought Partner For Life was both about getting married and about becoming American.

Interesting. It does have all those American geographical references in it. But I think it's primarily about feeling committed to a relationship. Not so much about getting married, but about staying married. (... sigh)