All times are UTC

Post subject: Purity of Essence
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:36 am 

lets introduce the band as only one man can take it away Graham Parker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NBb9a_E79M

then

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CMBK4A55NY

with the passing of time sound still in tack, take it away

Last edited by soulonice on Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Purity of Essense
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:53 am 

felt it was fitting to play some of their other music not sure why the rest isn't on the tube yet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cObvO93L ... 980AC98FD1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ay9cKA4yFEo

Face to Face was up recently and the account has expired otherwise I would have posted it *\*

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:34 pm 

just received my copy of this re release bring back the times when I was buying that english beat wow, what a time this band had their own sound and did the best to continue on with the British Invasion was it pub, punk, just great tribute to their influences.

Great hearing this again, thanks Mr Howells, for feeling this needed revisiting or what ever prompted u!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:12 pm 

review of their three releases

http://ngootbredux.blogspot.com/

enjoy the sounds

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:21 pm 
Site Admin

I don't know what that review was all about. It says that the only place you can find "Name And Number" is on some "expensive import" which also includes the US vinyl only tracks. Huh? First of all, "Name And Number" was on both versions of the album, but in different recordings. Second, the import referred to is the UK version straight up. No US tracks on there.

Errors like this is the main reason why I wanted to get the US version released, because so many people don't know the real story behind this unusual set of circumstances and get it wrong.

Post subject: Re: Purity of Essence
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:16 pm 

FYI - Name And Number was not on the original UK vinyl version of Purity.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:38 am 
Site Admin

Davey Dark wrote:
FYI - Name And Number was not on the original UK vinyl version of Purity.

Interesting. So the UK version of "Name And Number" was a b-side only? I have the Stiff single "Little Red Book" b/w "Name And Number" and it is most definitely not the same version that was re-recorded for the US album. That same UK b-side appears on the Gadfly release. On top of that, I have a tape that was made for me years ago of the UK album (or maybe it was a German edition) that has "Name And Number" as the last track. Does anyone have a scan of the UK album cover I could look at?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:44 pm 

The back cover is hard to decipher.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:25 pm 
Site Admin

What a surprise. I stand corrected. Never having seen an actual UK copy, I just assumed that "Name And Number" was included, based on the fact that it was recorded for the Stiff album (but apparently only released as a single) and that it appeared on the Gadfly and Japanese releases as if it had been a part of the album all along (nothing mentioned about it being a bonus track). On top of all of that, Martin Belmont never mentioned anything about it in his liner notes. Clearly, it wasn't there on the original UK release, but was it added to a different version that was available in Europe? Or was it added to the cassette version? If anyone knows the answers, please let me know.

I know this much: the claim that "Name And Number" from the US release was added as a bonus track to the CD releases of the UK album is false. They are completely different. The UK (single) version starts with the first chord and the US version starts with a drum intro. I think they may even be in different keys! I'll have to listen to them back to back again. This was one of the things that first started to make me realize that the two albums were different. I bought the US album and then bought the Stiff single to get "My Little Red Book", not knowing that it was actually on the UK album, and was shocked to hear what I thought was an outtake of "Name And Number" on the other side. Later I found out about the two different versions of the album and then it made sense, but it never occurred to me that it didn't appear on the album. This makes the US version of the album even that much better!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:52 pm 

I read that review, but didn't take it to mean any US songs were on the UK version.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:00 pm 
Site Admin

Davey Dark wrote:
I read that review, but didn't take it to mean any US songs were on the UK version.

It says "'Name And Number', from the US version, eventually found its way onto CDs of 'Purity Of Essence'". Not true, unless he's referring to my release, which I doubt.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:03 pm 

Ahh, yes it does. I didn't catch that. But, I gather it's just misworded since he talks about them being two different albums. I'll drop a comment there.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:07 pm 

I see you were the "reader" that corrected him.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:59 pm 
Site Admin

My scan of the single. I haven't looked at this in about 30 years. I never noticed the "Not included on the forthcoming Rumour album" message on the label.

Attachment:
NameAndNumber-single.jpg
NameAndNumber-single.jpg [ 41.06 KiB | Viewed 3722 times ]