Sharpening Axes

official site: grahamparker.net
It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 12:27 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:08 pm 

Hi Fans,
I am working on a Graham Parker Documentary with my brother. The two of us have made the film End of the Century: the Story of the Ramones. We are making the Graham film in full cooperation with Graham. This film has been in the works for four years and we are hoping to release the film some time this fall. Because we are making this film using only our personal funds, we need to raise money to pay for the music licensing as well as for some of the footage of Graham and the Rumor we are using in the film. You can view the trailer and make a donation of any dollar amount if you follow this link http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/211 ... ham-parker

There are special gifts of appreciation that come with specific donations.

Thanks GP fans!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:45 pm 

Perhaps the funniest post I have ever read. My wife nixed the "Executive Producer" credit already, even though she knows how much I want to be in the movie business. I am working on the "Thank You" credit, but I am not too hopeful. I would pay to see it though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:55 pm 
Site Admin

By the way, this is FOR REAL! I will be posting something about this on the website. Meanwhile, spread the word. This should be a great documentary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:31 am 

I have put the numbers in a spreadsheet, performed a sensitivity analysis (didn't tell the wife) and a reasonableness test (she doesn't tell me what she spends on shoes), tweaked around with exchange rate fluctuations (yep it will fluctuate) and reviewed the return on investment (I get GP stuff).

The result; this is a solid rolled gold investment opportunity.

Priceless for those who can take a position on either of the two private screening options (these failed the sensitivity analysis and logisitics criteria for me).

I'm in and I'm certified (accountant that is).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:50 am 

I'm in too Bill. Let's hope we make the target because going by the trailer this looks like being an excellent (but long overdue) tribute to one of the great rock n' roll artists of our time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:32 am 

Okay I just pledged $1000.00 if we can get 46 more people to do so---we'll have a great documentary to enjoy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:21 pm 

Bruno wrote:
Okay I just pledged $1000.00 if we can get 46 more people to do so---we'll have a great documentary to enjoy.

Bravo Bruno, I proably won't make it to the perks, what the heck, yes I would like Graham to get the recognition he deserved, only a few bands attempted this type of music in that era, when there is only room for 1 band to get a mass market, where did that leave the rest of us?!

In my humble op this music did not need to end up in the obscurity file! :-)

Last edited by soulonice on Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:50 pm 

GP can use more fans like Bruno. I will have to settle on being one tenth of the fan that he is.
The information needs to go up on the Facebook site, whoever is doing those posts. I will make sure to post the link on my site. That's got to be worth a pledge or two. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:51 pm 

wow, exciting that the project has come this far, but the $ figure is shocking. Maybe the current distributors of graham's back catalogue would be interested, as a means of promotion?

the main narrative of the film seems to be the "unjustly obscure" angle, which I don't entirely agree with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:42 pm 

redinKC wrote:
GP can use more fans like Bruno. I will have to settle on being one tenth of the fan that he is.
The information needs to go up on the Facebook site, whoever is doing those posts. I will make sure to post the link on my site. That's got to be worth a pledge or two. :)

I'm pledging $1000.00 because financially I can do so. Believe me there were years where I was just scraping by, living paycheck by paycheck. So please give if you can and if you can't that's okay too. I'm sure Graham's got some "big time" fans out there---David Letterman perhaps?

Hey maybe we can sponsor a car wash or a bake sale??!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:49 pm 

Bruno wrote:
redinKC wrote:

I'm pledging $1000.00 because financially I can do so. Believe me there were years where I was just scraping by, living paycheck by paycheck. So please give if you can and if you can't that's okay too. I'm sure Graham's got some "big time" fans out there---David Letterman perhaps?

Hey maybe we can sponsor a car wash or a bake sale??!!

count me in Bruno, as it is I will have to get some additional hours to work, in order to help out, whatever it takes its not going to increase sales nor improve attendence it will allow a legend to be recognized of sorts perhaps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:41 pm 

Some of us losers are trying to figure out which solo show is represented in the clip. He only wears four shirts and the blue stripe is newer(at least than ren/stempy or Ian Drury). He wore it a lot at Latest Clowns, which the clip is not. I may be in the clip but I'm not sure. It has the aura of Joe's Pub, which we know was filmed, but I was in the back for that one.

I can only remember being insulted once or twice and he is usually grateful we come out. Don't worry...we know his shtick(and that's why he keeps changing the set).

So if anybody knows...
________
that's what we are...that's what we are

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:14 pm 

Hey, johnnytheg and mpgram, you're swell filmmakers. Even if I were not a three-decade, unhinged, frothing-at-the-mouth GP enthusiast, I'd have kicked in some bucks just to say thanks for End of the Century.

Meanwhile, $3600 in only two days with 46 more to go? I feel confident.

Last edited by JL on Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:12 am 

This is fantastic: GP finally appeals to the masses! (get it...appeals...nevermind.) Seriously, could he have a fan-base less likely to pull this off? Aren't we all solitary brooding misanthropes? Or is that just me? There should be a giving level at $499: You deliver the benefit, but you don't have to have awkward and unwanted 'private time' with the man. That said, I'm in. [/i]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:30 am 

I can't wait for this to come out. It's true, $47,000 seems awfully steep just for licensing. Is this going to have commercial distribution, or will it begin by making the festival rounds (which I believe is usually the case with documentaries)?

I'll link to this on my blog as well...