Sharpening Axes

official site: grahamparker.net
It is currently Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:12 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:26 am 

Hi guys, this is the other brother filmmaker guy ... thanks so much for all the support so far. It is true that 47K is a lot. We were going to cut out half the clips but it hurt too much. The real culprits are BBC and NBC. I thought of asking for less , and cutting away but I though an appeal to the only people who would understand how important these clips might be a better option. These cost are high taken out of context but it includes music rights as well. Compared to the Ramones film it is exactly 2 thirds less those cost. Anyway thanks to you all again. And the 5 losers show was at the Turning Point Feb 2004.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:29 pm 

I'm in for 100. The generous amount of swag offered at this level seems like a pretty sweet bargain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:46 pm 
Site Admin

Submitted for your approval:

http://drbristol.wordpress.com/2010/07/ ... rker-film/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:24 pm 

howells wrote:

thank you for this info, its great knowing there is work being done to get great music recognized!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:30 am 

The reason I found the initial post funny is that two weeks prior I decided to email the producers of the movie to find out whatsup. I told them that there were a number of rabid GP fans who were wondering what was happening with the film. Next thing I know they hit us up for money! What are they, my relatives??? The whole thing has the air of the "old ladies with walkers" number in The Producers(2005), but...with that said...it is probably the best way for GP to get his due and I will give my hunny($100).

Actually my main concern now is with the film itself. The story of an artist who kinda hit it big, but then didn't, applies to like every band I have ever seen. The focus on the Rumour is disturbing to me...either get them together or who cares?

I suspect that the movie will miss the real point. GP is the premier artist of our generation and those who decide the truth in these things have totally missed him. I think that is in part to his arrival as a R&R performer with the Rumour so focusing on the Rumour years will lead to the same result. So far the movie seems like a "Whatever happened to GP?" movie, istead of a "GP, the Van Gogh of our times" movie that I think he deserves. Obviously, I could be wrong about the movie but that is the hook as to how it is being sold.

Anyway, that is my 2 cents or $100.
______
Maybe he's a genius that no one understands...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:24 am 

Jerilo: I respect your opinion and feel that I share your esteem for Graham Parker and the unique place he holds in our literary/musical culture--a place indeed on par with Van Gogh. Further, I share your skepticism of the role of "The Rumour" in the greater GP story. (In fact, the relationship between GP & the Rumour--to paraphrase something I read in the "Ask GP" feature of this site-- was that he was essentially grafted onto the Rumour out of convenience. It was not a "symbiosis"; nor was it some kind of mutual development: He was a talent, and they were talented musicians. Certainly they were great together--but lets be honest about who held the gifts. It pains me to say that this same imbalance pertains to his current involvement with the Figgs. As much as I love PP&M, I know where the bread is buttered.) That said, I think it is unfair to complain that the premise of this film is mistaken. There aren't enough paying customers to make a buck on a "what happened to GP" documentary. Frankly, those who have not been "Gobsmacked' (to quote Holly H's eloquent summation of the GP experience) by his work don't really care what happened to him. I hope this documentary does one thing: Gets more people to listen. Period. If that happens, GP will take care of the rest. Send in another hunny.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:06 pm 
Site Admin

Nearly halfway there! Please spread the word. This project must be completed!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:48 pm 

$20 Bill wrote:
That said, I think it is unfair to complain that the premise of this film is mistaken. There aren't enough paying customers to make a buck on a "what happened to GP" documentary. Frankly, those who have not been "Gobsmacked' (to quote Holly H's eloquent summation of the GP experience) by his work don't really care what happened to him. I hope this documentary does one thing: Gets more people to listen. Period.

I don't follow you here: the film is not being made as a whatever-happened-to-GP story because not enough people are interested in GP to care about this story, yet the purpose of the film should be to get more people interested in GP? As someone already interested in GP, I just want it to be a good portrait of the artist.

I agree with jerry that lamenting graham's supposed lack of success seems like a mistake. Why the self-pity? Better to show what makes him a great songwriter and performer, regardless of externalities. Any two-bit journalist (we all saw how many Imaginary Televison "reviews" seemed to have been published without the album having been auditioned) can put together a "criminally overlooked" narrative--and they do, now that the "original angry young man" line has been played out. Why not do something that focuses on the music itself instead of whether it has gotten its supposed due? The film, if good, will play a role in earning graham his eventual recognition. He doesn't complain (much); why should we?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:00 pm 

I would like to respectfully request that whoever is posting for the GP Facebook page to please put something up about the documentary.
Let's not lose any more fundraising time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:58 pm 
Site Admin

redinKC wrote:
I would like to respectfully request that whoever is posting for the GP Facebook page to please put something up about the documentary.
Let's not lose any more fundraising time.

It's already there. I posted something myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:36 pm 

Great news Howells. My rookie mistake, I was only on Graham Parker news not Others. Thank you for posting it.
I was going to try and load a video from the Brit's Pub show. Do you think they would mind if I added a link about the documentary?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:38 am 
Site Admin

redinKC wrote:
Great news Howells. My rookie mistake, I was only on Graham Parker news not Others. Thank you for posting it.
I was going to try and load a video from the Brit's Pub show. Do you think they would mind if I added a link about the documentary?

Don't know. Can't hurt to try. Also, don't forget about the other GP Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=18404410417

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:32 pm 

My contribution:

http://musicruinedmylife.blogspot.com/2 ... raham.html

P.S. Loved 'End of the Century' and how it could engross even people only slightly familiar with the band (like say, my wife) by the strength of its narrative.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:56 pm 

jeffen wrote:
My contribution:

http://musicruinedmylife.blogspot.com/2 ... raham.html

P.S. Loved 'End of the Century' and how it could engross even people only slightly familiar with the band (like say, my wife) by the strength of its narrative.

thank you for getting the word out there :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:57 am 

Got it up on my blog now too...

http://thesonginmyheadtoday.blogspot.com/2010/07/thursday-reverb-as-my-faithful-readers.html

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next