Sharpening Axes

official site: grahamparker.net
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:36 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:27 pm 

I've already been tagged as one of the "losers" who show up at way too many shows. I know that the brothers Gramaglia were trying hard to get an interview with EC...also Brinsley Schwarz(not huge). To be truly huge it would be BS or perhaps EC, but these guys have been known to exagerate.

For the fifth straight year I hereby declare 2011 to be The Year of the Parker! Yessir!
- - - -
This room got really weird...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:38 pm 

I say Brinsley as well, it's not a film unless it includes all the band members!

Last edited by soulonice on Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:57 pm 
Site Admin

Probably Bruce Springsteen. After all, his famous quote about GP being the only act he'd pay to see would make him a natural for inclusion, and he IS a superstar - far bigger than Costello or any of the others mentioned. No, I don't have any inside information, just a hunch. Who else would be big enough to warrant a redo at this point? Maybe it's President Obama :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:22 pm 

well, graham has never seemed too proud of having Bruce appear on his record. Though that might make an entertaining (and revealing) segment in the film.

plus, Bruce might be the only one able to explain the profusion of GP fans named Jerry in New Jersey.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:27 pm 

howells wrote:
Probably Bruce Springsteen. After all, his famous quote about GP being the only act he'd pay to see would make him a natural for inclusion, and he IS a superstar - far bigger than Costello or any of the others mentioned. No, I don't have any inside information, just a hunch. Who else would be big enough to warrant a redo at this point? Maybe it's President Obama :)

well I personally would like to see OB as the choice Graham has a lot of similarity to the Pres. both advocate to giving time to being a parent as does Graham:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq9ipsPNxPc

Pres. quotes our Mr G way before, his election into office now that, a film would make, should OB not be available, well; we'll have to wait and see.

Graham was recently chatting about his concern about Siddhartha never going back home to check on his family;

this is my take on the book; Mr Hesse was selecting a privileged life and extracting all the finery so that once the essentials are in place what is our driving force, his family had all their needs met so they were not neglected they had family to care for them, Sid was the one who found more to life then shelter and enriched his soul who knows who he came back reincarnated as?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:59 am 

cc said..."plus, Bruce might be the only one able to explain the profusion of GP fans named Jerry in New Jersey."

Well cc, after they ask BS why everyone in NJ who likes GP seems to be named Jerry, they should ask him..."Jerry???, Mind if we call you Bruce?"(OK WHO GETS IT?)
- - - -
You've got to be kidding...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:06 am 

I'm guessin' its the Boss, too, despite earlier poster's quote
cc wrote:
well, graham has never seemed too proud of having Bruce appear on his record. Though that might make an entertaining (and revealing) segment in the film.
I have to disagree about GP not being proud of the Springsteen connection. I always got the sense that there was no fawning fandom involved (how could there be--he's a Brit. They don't understand our car and highway fascination), but that GP definitely understands Springsteen's talents, and appreciated his early praise.

I didn't know Brinsley Schwartz wasn't on board already, and that makes me sad. Their work was so complementary. I remember being at a show--probably MLS tour--and after a nice guitar part Brinsley made it clear that it had been played by GP, he kind of pointed & nodded over toward him. Brinsley seemed to be proud that Graham was a pretty good guitar player. It was a real moment of friendship

I'd be shocked if the mystery interview was Nick Lowe. How difficult would it have been to get him earlier? Plus, did Nick Lowe ever acknowledge GP at any of the shows he opened this Fall? Not in Somerville, where Graham killed it, and Nick Lowe gave him nary a mention.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:35 pm 

I'm wondering when the last time ole' BS paid to hear Graham play? he backed vocals so long ago, does that make him a fan today, maybe, Dylan he played GRAHAM ON HIS RADIO SHOW, he's quoted that "Don't ask me questions" was a pretty good tune, so who knows, guess I should just zipped it til we see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:34 pm 
Site Admin

Looking through the archives, Graham has this to say about Bruce Springsteen:

Part 6 (when asked if it was true that he was pissed at Jimmy Iovine for adding Springsteen's vocals to "Endless Night")

"Where do people get these remarkable ideas? I think that there are minds that need editing. Not meaning yours, Mike. Meaning whoever said that I got pissed at having Bruce on backing vocals."

Part 12 -

"If anyone deserves to be a superstar, it's Bruce. Suffice to say, for the moment at least, that I feel my quirky, twisted lyrics, often highly inventive chord structures have a lot more in common with Camper Van Beethoven than The Boss. Definitely not a recipe for the big time, that's for sure."

Part 22 -

"Whoa! Someone who dares to criticize The Boss? You mean you don't think he's made anything compelling since the brooding, claustrophobic, almost guilt-tinged and quietly weird "Tunnel Of Love" (even Clearmountain's over-glistening mixing didn't manage to ruin it)? Watch your back, Art. Millions of people can't seem to face that idea. "

Part 33 -

(when asked if Bruce came to a particular show and whether or not he paid to get in)

"I didn't ask Bruce whether he paid or not, but seeing as he missed my solo performance (someone told him I was on an hour later and he seemed disappointed when I told him I'd already been on) he would have wasted his money."

Part 40 -

(when asked about the latest Springsteen album)

"Bruce's new record is really good. Have not pondered the meaning of it all."

None of this sounds negative to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:47 pm 

howells wrote:

Part 40 -

Which BS record is Graham referring to?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:51 pm 
Site Admin

Jerry wrote:
howells wrote:

Part 40 -

Which BS record is Graham referring to?

"The Rising"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:23 pm 

BS and GP have a strongly overlapping fan base even though they do quite different things. Rumours were flying that BS was going to show at the Latest Clowns show in Asbury Park. I know because I started them and was spreading them. Now I see that GP is playing with Garland Jeffreys in NJ next year and I think that would be a great show for BS to show up at. I hear its going to happen!
- - - - -
If I could only find the switch...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:21 pm 

jerilo wrote:
BS and GP have a strongly overlapping fan base even though they do quite different things. Rumours were flying that BS was going to show at the Latest Clowns show in Asbury Park. I know because I started them and was spreading them. Now I see that GP is playing with Garland Jeffreys in NJ next year and I think that would be a great show for BS to show up at. I hear its going to happen!
- - - - -
If I could only find the switch...

Wanna bet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:36 am 

Quote:

What has Graham said in archives about Elvis Costello?

Michael Gramaglia commented on Kickstarter that Costello wouldn't be interviewed for the documentary (no reason was given).

From my one & only after show gathering with GP and his fans (back in 1995) I was left with the impression that GP & EC despite their similarities (and that some of their Rumour and Attractions colleagues played with both of them) they were not friendly towards each other.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:02 pm 

Accountant named Bill wrote:
Quote:

What has Graham said in archives about Elvis Costello?

Michael Gramaglia commented on Kickstarter that Costello wouldn't be interviewed for the documentary (no reason was given).

From my one & only after show gathering with GP and his fans (back in 1995) I was left with the impression that GP & EC despite their similarities (and that some of their Rumour and Attractions colleagues played with both of them) they were not friendly towards each other.

I would love to see them square off but I can't imagine why there would be any animosity between them. They are both geniuses in their own right...maybe that's the problem.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next