Sharpening Axes

official site: grahamparker.net
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:58 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:14 pm 
Site Admin

I don't think GP has had much to say about Costello publicly. I think it's interesting that the only member of the Rumour who has not (as far as I know) played with both GP and EC is Brinsley Schwarz. Also, the only member of the Attractions who has not played with both is Bruce Thomas. They certainly do share a lot in common in this regard. I might also point out that EC has never, to my knowledge, said anything bad about GP. In fact, he has several times acknowledged GP and the Rumour both in print and on stage. I don't really believe there is any animosity between them (but who knows), and I think EC's reluctance to acknowledge GP as an influence has more to do with his ego than anything else. After all, it might diminish his perceived originality if he were to credit a similar artist from a similar background as an influence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:26 pm 

howells wrote:
I don't think GP has had much to say about Costello publicly. I think it's interesting that the only member of the Rumour who has not (as far as I know) played with both GP and EC is Brinsley Schwarz. Also, the only member of the Attractions who has not played with both is Bruce Thomas. They certainly do share a lot in common in this regard. I might also point out that EC has never, to my knowledge, said anything bad about GP. In fact, he has several times acknowledged GP and the Rumour both in print and on stage. I don't really believe there is any animosity between them (but who knows), and I think EC's reluctance to acknowledge GP as an influence has more to do with his ego than anything else. After all, it might diminish his perceived originality if he were to credit a similar artist from a similar background as an influence.

It's unlikely that Graham influenced EC because their careers coincided time-wise. Consequentally, I doubt that one was observing the other's outputs...they were both much too focused on their own situations...that's partly why they have been so successful. But only they know for sure, and probably don't give a rat's arse about anyway.
But more importantly, why do I get logged out after posting? Something offensive that I said?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:48 pm 

Sunglasses(s) was a hilarious spoof on Costello's Spectacle. I'm a fan of both, but it seems obvious that there is some animosity towards one another. Wasn't Graham a good year or two before Elvis? I'm guessing it doesn't sit well with Elvis after all these years, knowing that he DID borrow some of Grahams early style and attitude (and band members) and doesn't want it too well known. A massive ego such as his won't allow it. Graham, on the other hand, would like a teensy bit of credit or acknowledgement that this did occur, and well, it ain't gonna happen, so there might be a tiny bit of resentment or jealousy of Elvis' success. But this is all "speculation". Pun intended. And I don't really care. Grahams and Elvis' body of work diverged so many years ago its a pointless argument.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:23 pm 

Accountant named Bill wrote:
despite their similarities

I think it might be more of a "because" than a "despite."

howells wrote:
I think it's interesting that the only member of the Rumour who has not (as far as I know) played with both GP and EC is Brinsley Schwarz. Also, the only member of the Attractions who has not played with both is Bruce Thomas. ...

After all, it might diminish his perceived originality if he were to credit a similar artist from a similar background as an influence.

interesting in what way? Bruce Thomas is the Attraction who didn't get along with EC, right? Is that what you have in mind?

Brinsley Schwarz's guitar would have fit in nicely on My Aim is True especially.

How similar are their backgrounds after all? EC comes from a musical family, as I recall. Not so graham, as far as I know (haven't seen the movie). Also, EC's family is Irish, I believe (like John Lydon).

I think graham may have been more of a pioneer than an influence for EC... in other words, I doubt that EC developed his musical style to fit what he saw graham was doing. His early albums are too good to be insincere in that way. But it's probable that graham's success emboldened him and, maybe more importantly, his management, to go ahead with the style and image.

That said, I'm not sure at this point what's the average music listener's image of EC. Do they still think of the wiry angry young man? Or of the well-fed Paul McCartney/Burt Bacharach collaborator & cable talk show host? I agree that his musical style has diverged; therefore, he wouldn't seem to have much to lose by acknowledging graham at this point.

It's somewhat like how the Rolling Stones seemed never to acknowledge any white acts in their 60s & 70s interviews, always citing blues and r&b artists instead. Nowadays they're much more free in their recollections of how important to them were Elvis, Buddy Holly, Eddie Cochran, etc.

Last edited by cc on Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:37 pm 

I doubt there's any animosity between the two. Is there any record of the them ever meeting?

I'd love to see what either BS or EC have to say about Graham. The Springsteen quote has been overplayed so it would be nice to hear a little more detail from Bruce concerning his impressions of GP and his music. On the other hand, Elvis can be very articulate and passionate in his praise, thus it would be fascinating to get his take on Parker, as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:19 pm 

EC had his own show and never mentioned GP. I think that ship has sailed. I think the movie is lacking the punch of a BS or BD giving GP his due, but that is par for his career. It may be someone like Max Weinberg or Miami Steve, who are well known rock historian/enthusiasts who might add something to what is already there, but it could just be more BS and I don't mean Bruce.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:20 pm 
Site Admin

New update from Michael Gramaglia confirms what I had suspected: the new interview for the film is with Bruce Springsteen. They are also trying to line up a couple more high profile interviews before completing the film. I know this has been a long frustrating wait, but I'm convinced the results will be worth it. I won't even speculate on who the other interview candidates may be, but it would be amazing to me if they manage to get Bob Dylan to say a few words.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:54 pm 

yes, very good news! and way to go, Brooce. I thought of Dylan too, as someone "on the same level" as Mike Gr. wrote (though Dylan is way above, imo), and though I too doubt he'd make himself available, I can't think of who else would qualify for that description.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:52 pm 

cc wrote:
yes, very good news! and way to go, Brooce. I thought of Dylan too, as someone "on the same level" as Mike Gr. wrote (though Dylan is way above, imo), and though I too doubt he'd make himself available, I can't think of who else would qualify for that description.

Graham just did a cover of Dylan's song License to Kill Dylan should b included as this video will show the reference dating way back for those two

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3ETAZSFWWs

The bathroom scene is what I am referring too, always wanted to know what r those bunnies doing in the bathroom?
I love this vid as well :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:11 pm 

Hey if BD can do an episode of pawn stars(yes that's spelled correctly), he can grace us with a minute. I mean, after Bruce, who else would have any clout to add anything but the great BD? By the way, we love you Meg but can you please play some GP on your Loft show?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:18 am 

LOU REED!!!!???!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:12 am 

howells wrote:
They are also trying to line up a couple more high profile interviews before completing the film.

As well as hearing opinions from GP's contemporaries, it would be interesting to hear from some artists who had success in the 80's or later who may been influenced/inspired/interested in GP and the Rumour music from the 70's.

I know INXS used to cover GP (Hey Lord) in their early days (1980). I wonder if any of the other big bands that came to prominence during the 80's would cite GP as an influence.

As to INXS I am sure they would consent to being interviewed. These days in Australia they seem to pop up eveywhere (Celebrity Master Chef!) and no doubt would even appear at the opening of envelope.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:35 pm 

I know INXS used to cover GP (Hey Lord) in their early days (1980).

Interesting! I'm a fan of INXS's early stuff. Is there a recording of this anywhere?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:06 am 

nicepace wrote:
I know INXS used to cover GP (Hey Lord) in their early days (1980).

Interesting! I'm a fan of INXS's early stuff. Is there a recording of this anywhere?

I don't think they ever recorded it, there is a link here
http://www.guitars101.com/forums/f90/in ... 10781.html
to a concert download.

Interestingly my old Trouser Press Record Guide describes INXS' first record as "... dull rock that sounds like a less musical Joe Jackson or a no-soul Graham Parker."

Maybe the GP influence didn't work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:33 pm 

howells wrote:

Then Brinsley was the loyal one, as a listener back then I didn't like the musicians playing with EC I wanted Graham's sound to be uniquely theirs alone, now I can say it was a strategic move since all of the bands were on the Stiff label, when they weren't making a record or on tour their figures still had some go, so why not.

If anything I would say all bands after the Brinsley Swartz band were influenced by Brinsley's since his band came before all of them,lets not forget to pay tribute where its due. @\@

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6